Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

MAD ABOUT PRESIDENT TRUMP? IAM TOO, HERES WHY AND WHAT I THINK WE CAN DO.

          A hero of mine growing up was my Uncle Jimmy who was killed in action while fighting the Korean war. He was always revered in my household. We had his letters he sent home while fighting the war. I read those letters more than once. His burial flag was given to my Grandparents and has been at my mothers house on the mantel centerpiece for years now. Veteran service and sacrifice is not something to be sneered at where I come from, or so I thought until this election. When Donald Trump said of John McCain "He’s not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured." I was livid. You dont say that about any P.O.W. without a huge backlash, particularly if you've never served in any capacity, or so I thought until the election.

     I joined the Marine Corps in 1999 to serve my country for many reasons. Partly because of the example that was set by my Uncle, to better myself and see the world, to protect our country from those who woud do it harm, etc. etc. So I did. While in, I met wonderful people from all over our great nation, serving a common good. A lesson we learn early on is, "there are no black or white Marines, you are all green." So when I hear Donald Trump disparaging any group of people, I can think back to a fellow Marine and think "he's bad mouthing a friend who has served their country." Whether hes talking about Mexican immigrants: "The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else's problems. It's true. And these aren't the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists — and some, I assume, are good people." "I think Judge Curiel should be ashamed of himself. I think it’s a disgrace that he’s doing this. ... The judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican. ... I think the Mexicans are going to end up loving Donald Trump."
or when he's talking about mistreating women: "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever. In my opinion, she was off-base."
"Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that — the face of our next president!?" Or when he declines to disavow racists who hate some of my fellow Marines: "I don’t know. I don’t know, did he endorse me or what’s going on, because, you know, I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists. ... I have to look at the group. I mean, I don’t know what group you’re talking about. You wouldn’t want me to condemn a group that I know nothing about." All these things and more that I havent listed make me mad. I thought that America agreed with me, until the election. 

     Election night was shameful for our country and my state. The bully won. In spite of everything he said in the above paragraphs and more, hes won. I was rather upset all night, I couldnt sleep thinking about everything that I believe in versus what our countries voters believe. That lead me to think about how the electorate works, that Hillary could still win more votes, perhaps by two hundred thousand, and still lose the election. So, yes, I along with my fellow Democrats have been knocked down to the mat by the bully. That doesnt mean we have to stay there. Like Rockys trainer Micky said "I didnt hear no bell!" If you know me, you know thats not possible for me to do. I'm encouraging you to stand up and fight for what I hope are our shared American values. Heres my plan:

     1. We as Democrats need to show the world (Russia, China, Iran, North Korea) that just because the better, more vote attaining side lost, does not mean we are going to let democracy fail. We have to give President Elect Trump a chance. We need to encourage what few remaining Democrats we have in congress not to just automatically filibuster every bill/appointment that comes through. We need to allow Democracy to work as it was intended, not what the Republicans have done in the last eight years. Obviously, there may come a time when the filibuster may come in handy, but not at first. WE HAVE TO GIVE PRESIDENT TRUMP A CHANCE.
     2. We need to make our voices be heard by our representatives in Congress, regardless of whether or not they are a Democrat or a Republican. WE HAVE TO BE ENGAGED IN THE POLITICAL PROCESS, NOW MORE THAN EVER. I'll try to help. I can post some form letters on here so all you have to do is copy/paste and send a letter/email yourself regarding issues that come up. 
     3. WE NEED TO STAND UP TO BIGOTRY. When we hear our politicians saying bigotted things, we need to call them out on it, via email and social media. We need to shine a spotlight on the hate, so the country cannot ignore it. I'll do my best to share form letters concerning this as well. In the right hand column is the link to the US congress website where you can find email and mailing addresses to all the members of congress.
     4. In 2018 we have a mid-term election, WE NEED TO GET OUT THE VOTE. We have to stress the importance to our family and friends of the importance to get involved.
     5. In 2020 we have to all be involved in the Democratic primary process. If you are a independent, or Never Trump Republican, switch over, help us nominate the best possible candidate, BE INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS!


https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/17/23-things-donald-trump-has-said-that-would-have-doomed-another-candidate/

No comments: